This 'How To' helps you to create the perfect smokey eye.
Just like the ubiquitous little black dress, the smokey eye is a timeless makeup classic. It may look complicated but a creating a smokey eye is really pretty simple. As with many makeup looks its all about the blending. Just remember to blend, blend and blend some more to make sure you get the shadowing effect that really nails the look.
Firstly the first thing to remember is to stay away from blues, as they can make you look like you have under-eye circles - and quite frankly, who wants that! Instead, choose for blacks, grams browns, or if you want a bit more colour go for dark green or dark purple shadows and liners.
1. Apply a cream concealer or eye primer to your eyelid to create a smooth base for your eyeshadow. My favourite right now is Prime & Proper Makeup Eye Primer which prevents creasing and fading.
2. Use a pencil liner to trace your top lash line. Using the same pencil, dot between your lower lashes in - use the tightline technique which means: applying liner at the base of/in between your lashes. It cleverly makes your lashes seem both thicker and fuller at the roots while adding subtle definition to the eyes. and then smudge both lashlines with a cotton swab or brush.
3. Sweep powder shadow (I think that brown, grey, and dark green work best) over your lid and into your crease. Then blend the colour up and outwards. My favourite brush for this is the Zoeva Luxe Eye Blending Brush no. 225 or the LimeLife By Alcone Classified no.10 Pointed Blender Brush
4. Dust a lighter, neutral eyeshadow (such as ivory) over just your brow bone. Or, to prevent colour from fading and give your lids a more shimmery finish, pat a cream shadow over the concealer on your lid first, wait five minutes, then top with a matching powder shadow.
5. Finish with two coats of black mascara. Simples!
Are you a smoky eye fan ? What are your foolproof tips for creating this look ?
Welcome to your guide to beautiful skin. I'm a cruelty free hair and makeup artist, skin expert, and advocate for gorgeous glowing skin !